AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP Director, Marketing (Respiratory) in Wilmington, Delaware
NA Commercial, TA
Senior Director – Aerosphere Franchise
We lead our industry in our development of a strong and varied pipeline. This means our people are here to win, we give you a breadth of opportunities to be curious and do cutting edge, unique work that has big impact on science and medicine.
Purpose of role
Concise Summary of main purpose of job:
The Director, Marketing is responsible for leading the definition, design, execution and measurement of brand strategy across both HCP & Consumer segments. This role is expected to work across all customer segments and partner effectively with Brand and Portfolio peers/ teams, Sales, Commercial Operations, and Managed Markets teams. The Director will work closely with the Brand Insight Director on the planning of all insight work including but not limited to primary and secondary research, database management, and ROI measurements. This position will be responsible for aligning a diverse team around a clear vision and purpose while leading, inspiring, developing and motivating the team to successfully achieve individual and organizational objectives.
oLead & support the strategic direction, design, execution and measurement of all HCP and Consumer-oriented marketing strategies, tactics and activities to deliver on the brand's objectives.
oResponsible for leading the creation of an integrated channel marketing strategy.
oPartner closely with sales teams to engage Field Sales around brand opportunities and mission, monitor performance, ensure message pull through and uncover opportunities and issues in execution.
oResponsible for leading the following key work: marketing strategies (PSP), brand positioning, core messaging and campaign, new markets/channel development, sales integration, sales execution and ROI analysis.
oSupport the design and implementation of launch/life cycle management plans that are responsive to patient needs, whether explicit or latent.
oCollaborate with Managed Markets to produce a value story and pricing model.
oAssess the investment viability in innovative brand programs, using economic sensitivity analysis, spend/sales scenario planning, and ROI variables to gauge risk and go/no go decisions.
oEvaluate new program rollout based on the findings of test markets, pilots, or models.
oEffectively work across the Commercial interface to successfully build relationships and drive performance collectively through all marketing and sales channels
oCollaborate with other functional areas to ensure promotional planning is consistent with legal/regulatory compliance.
oCreate sustainable, long-term relationships with thought leader advocates and customer advocacy groups
Functional Marketing Capabilities:
Right Touch Insight:
Uncover Insight Needs
Customer Needs & Motivation
Exhibiting customer obsession and ability to put ourselves into the shoes of our customers and patients by engaging in a continuous learning journey that yields actionable insight;
· Ability to define the insight to uncover, the business questions to answer, and hypotheses to test
· Ability to collaborate with “Insight & Analytics” to identify the most efficient and effective approach to gather information via combinations of market research, KOL input, “in market” feedback, secondary analysis, or other methods; ability to synthesize findings and extract meaningful customer and market insight
· Ability to know our patients and customers better than they know themselves through a deep continuous examination of the patient journey, customer values, and the factors that drive their behaviors and decision making, independent of customer’s relationship with our brand
· Ability to define metrics that enable assessment of brand strategy and marketing mix and to translate metrics data into actionable insight or recommendations
Observable behaviors & skills:
Asking the right questions
Utilizing the right tools & converting data into insight
Deep understanding of customer values independent of the brand
Measuring Performance to uncover insight that will inform strategy
Scientific Acumen & Life Cycle Management:
Scientific Community & Patient Advocacy
Product Label and Lifecycle Management
Leveraging the underlying science to create a compelling clinical platform, engage the scientific community, and develop a robust lifecycle plan;
· Ability to demonstrate comprehensive understanding of the disease state as well as the clinical profile of our brand and competitor products (current & future)
· Ability to collaborate with Medical Affairs & Market Access to develop a compelling scientific narrative and economic value proposition for a given brand
· Ability to galvanize key stakeholders in the scientific community around the scientific narrative, including KOLs and patient advocacy groups
· Ability to shape a product label that has broad patient and customer value and ability to shape and assess attractiveness of clinical program to maximize asset potential from pre-launch to LOE
Deeply understanding the disease state & clinical profile
Developing a compelling clinical platform
Galvanizing patients & the medical community
Maximizing the clinical value of the asset
Strategic Clarity & Messaging
Market Opportunity & Assessment
Strategy Development and Positioning
Identifying and developing a compelling strategic platform focused on a prioritized set of brand opportunities and founded on key insights;
· Ability to identify and evaluate potential brand opportunities, based on clinical, market and customer insight.
· Ability to ruthlessly prioritize the most attractive brand opportunities, to develop a clear and compelling strategic plan, and to determine the unique space we would like to own in the mind of our customers (HCPs, patients, payers).
· Ability to translate clinical and economic benefits into a compelling message platform
Identifying and evaluating potential opportunities
Defining the market and what space to own within it
Generating compelling insights-driven messaging
Marketing Mix & Execution
Integrated Multi-Channel Mix
Differentiated Customer Experience
Optimization/Closed Loop Marketing
Executing the marketing strategy through a comprehensive, integrated multi-channel mix (e.g. salesforce, peer-to-peer education, digital, and social channels) that targets HCPs, payers, & patients;
· Ability to evaluate the full array of channels, to maximize the ROI by selecting the right channel mix, to execute it flawlessly, and to create integrated experiences.
· Ability to aggregate or create compelling content and offerings delivered with the right cadence through the right channels, based on specific customer preference & desired behavior change
· Ability to understand and utilize patient and customer interaction data to deliver the “next best interaction” with content that builds off of previous interactions with the brand or AstraZeneca.
Maximizing and integrating channels
Delivering compelling experiences that drive action
Leveraging data to build the “next best interaction”
General Manager Acumen
Stakeholder Alignment & Enterprise Leadership
Financial Acumen and Operational Leadership
Landscape and Healthcare Environment
Mobilizing and inspiring our brand teams as well as the broader organization to execute the brand vision and strategy, drive performance, and foster innovation;
· Ability to influence, lead, and inspire a team of cross-functional partners by articulating clear patient-focused vision and objectives, communicating clear expectations, and holding key stakeholders accountable without direct authority
· Ability to understand and articulate brand performance, including drivers of revenue and contribution (P&L); ability to adjust strategic/operational direction in order to drive performance; ability to influence and understand implications of manufacturing/supply decisions and pricing/contracting strategies
· Ability to monitor and extrapolate key trends in the US market and their relevance to brand/TA, and to engage in shaping the external environment through collaborations or other ventures.
· Ability to operate within AstraZeneca’s legal, regulatory, and compliance guidelines
· Ability to identify and test breakthrough, “moonshot” ideas and apply learnings to brand strategy
Leading across boundaries to drive results
Understanding & influencing key performance drivers
Adapting strategy & operations based on external drivers
Fostering innovation, experimentation, & efficient scaling
Impact and Influence
· Inspires and leads the Marketing team (and the associated Cross-functional team) to deliver innovative solutions that offer true value to TA patients
· Utlizes deep understanding of the patient experience to anticipate, shape and respond to the needs of internal and external stakeholders in order to achieve a successful outcome.
Conveys compelling value proposition of TA/Medicines which inspire both functional and TA teams to deliver the very best outcomes for patients and healthcare providers
Successfully leads team through change by communicating clearly, providing context and support and reducing interference that impacts driving results
· Develops a Great Place to Work by actively engaging colleagues in development discussion. Engenders trust, empowers team and has courageous conversations. Leads courageously and makes difficult decisions.
· Ability to communicate clear brand vision and purpose and communicate it with passion and authenticity to the organization in an effort to shape culture. Demonstrated ability to build diverse pipeline of future leaders.
Engages, motivates inspires and create followership
Makes fair, impartial and informed talent decisions.
· Able to set objectives and ensure they are achieved within agreed parameters in a way in which delivers successful business outcomes.
· Able to define and drive a process that pulls on cross-functional resources to deliver the targeted outcome.
Clear vision and objectives are set forth and the ROI is monitored and discussed frequently with Senior Leadership team
Employees are engaged, and producing sustainable results
Associate Director, Marketing
Marketing Director, Digital
Insight Marketing Director
Management and Economic Structure
Number of Direct reports:
No Direct Reports
· Medical Affairs
· Commercial Ops
· Government Affairs
· Research & Development
· TA Healthcare Professionals
· Local and International Thought Leaders in TA
· Healthcare system providers
· Government officials
· Pricing and Market Access professionals
· Patient Groups
· Lobbying Groups
Bachelor's Degree required; preferably in business, marketing or the sciences;
· 8+ years of Pharmaceutical or Healthcare experience; preferably in a related industry
· 5+ years of Pharmaceutical Marketing and Promotions experience
· Experience leading brand strategy and executing against it
· Successful delivery of strategic and operational plans within a therapeutic or business area
· Demonstrated experience in working within cross-functional business units essential
· Strong financial acumen with the ability to assess and drive results
· Strong understanding of local healthcare system pricing and reimbursement
· Strong presentation and negotiation skills.
· Ability to successfully lead through ambiguity
· Successful experience leading change transformation
· Demonstrated Learning Agility
Advanced Degree in business, marketing, or the sciences;
· Experience in Market Access/Managed Markets
· Experience in Insight/Market Research
· Experience across product life cycle (emerging, launch, in-line, mature)
· Experience within early brand lifecycle
· Experience related to therapeutic area
· Experience in cross-channel, cross-customer marketing
Language Skills Required
Years of Leadership Experience
6+ years of experience in pharmaceutical and/or healthcare industry; preferably experience in one or more of the following: Managed Markets, Brand Marketing, Health Economics, Sales, Pricing or Market Research/analytics, Strategic Planning
Yes or No
If yes, where and position held? (To be determined by brand team)
·Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.