AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP Senior Scientist, PROTAC Oncology in Waltham, Massachusetts
Senior Scientist/Oncology Bioscience PROTAC
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to discover, develop, manufacture and market prescription medicines that make a positive impact on the lives of patients as well as their families and communities. In AstraZeneca Oncology, our vision is redefining our solutions to cancer and restoring patients' lives. Our mission is to make a meaningful difference to patient health through great medicines that bring benefit for patients and add value for society.
As a Senior Scientist you will be a key contributor in our PROTAC initiative and be a highly motivated and experienced scientist with a strong background in molecular and cellular biology to join the Oncology Bioscience group in Waltham as a lab-based Senior Scientist. This individual will be a key member of a dynamic and collaborative cross-functional Proteolysis Targeting Chimera (PROTAC) biology team. The primary responsibility of this position is to develop and run cell-based assays to identify early-stage lead molecules, explore drug mechanism of action, and to further understand the biology of PROTACs. These efforts will ultimately lead to the identification of drug candidates and the generation of compelling preclinical data packages to progress promising drug discovery projects towards clinical development. The successful candidate must also display a demonstrated track record of publishing work in peer-reviewed journals and an ability to handle a wide range of projects and collaborate across disciplines and teams.
· Design, quality control, and execution of medium- to high-throughput 96/384 well assay formats, such as Western Blot analysis, ELISA, Flow cytometry, RT-PCR, and high content imaging assays
· Development and execution of cell-based phenotypic assays (ex. survival, cell cycle, apoptosis)
· Culture and maintenance of cell lines; stable cell line generation using CRISPR
· Design and interpretation of mechanism of action assays using lead compounds
· Analysis, interpretation and presentation of data
· Maintenance of clear records of experimental work
· Maintaining an awareness of current developments in the literature bringing forward new target ideas or new technologies / assay methods
· Actively driving personal development with the Oncology Bioscience group, independently identifying opportunities where relevant
· PhD with 2+ years postdoctoral work or MS with 5+ years industry experience in biochemistry, molecular/cellular biology or equivalent fields.
· Demonstrated proficiency in data processing and data management
· Strong scientific background within cancer cell biology and the relevant in vitro assays required to validate a novel target and understand compound mechanism of action such as cell proliferation assays, western blotting and high content imaging
· Demonstrated track record of publishing work in peer-reviewed journals
· Innovative, independent, motivated and productive problem solver with excellent communication skills who also works effectively in a team setting
· Organized, goal-oriented and timeline-conscious with a positive, collaborative attitude and an ability to work in a matrixed team-oriented environment
· An understanding of the drug discovery process
· Knowledge of the ubiquitin-proteasome system
Next Steps – Apply today!
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.