AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP Business Analyst, Ops (IFS Americas) in San José, Costa Rica
Finance continues to drive AstraZeneca’s Bold Ambition and driving the delivery of the company’s strategic priorities. Providing valuable data, analytics and insights will not only support growth but enable the science to make effective decisions and identify market opportunities. Our mission is ambitious and it takes the skills of a collaborative team to follow the science and always put patients first.
AZ aims to be a Great Place to Work and enhance organizational values. We believe in doing the right thing, play to win and to be entrepreneurial.
The creation of the Integrated Finance Solutions (IFS) centers in Warsaw (Poland), Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) and San Jose (Costa Rica) will transform the AZ Middle Office to a central function, supporting the business regions through simplification, standardization across the globe, and a structure that is scalable to support the bold ambition of becoming a $50bn company by 2025.
We have exciting opportunities to join the Operations teams as Business Analysts to be based in the IFS Center in San Jose within the Americas Commercial Team, which will establish best practices and be responsible for providing support to embedded finance (CFOs and country business partners).
The Operations & Enabling Team will establish best practice across the Operations site network, Central Operations, and all Enabling Units (IT, Global Finance, HR, Legal, and Compliance) as well as the Global Product and Portfolio Strategy (GPPS) Group. Your primary focus will be on serving the finance business partners as well as providing support to IFS colleagues. Role
You will be working in a large team to provide support to the factories cost Analysis.
• Review costs of goods sold, non-dairy make, delivery expenses vs. budget and forecast.
• Perform month end closing duties pertaining to cost of goods sold and manufacturing make costs, including inventory account reconciliations and other journal entries as needed.
• Participates in cross-functional teams and provides financial analysis to evaluate investments and process changes.
• Evaluates the incremental net income because of marketing and trade expenditures.
• Partners with Supply Chain to evaluate current logistics costs and evaluate proposals to minimize costs and to better serve customers.
• Reviews economics of SKU mix for various product lines and recommend changes.
• Evaluates net income because of new product developments working in conjunction with category management and research and development(NPI).
• Provides economic payback analysis for proposed product changes, including packaging changes product line extensions product category extensions, and new products.
• Cross train with other Analysts to provide back up.
• Understands BOM structure; able to review BOMS for integrity.
• Review and updates manufacturing standards.
• Collaborate with external auditors to provide necessary inventory information during year end audits.
• Experience with manufacturing operations, physical inventory and cycle counting.
• Perform financial statement analysis and financial planning & analysis.
• Issue project cost reports for review and approval.
• Support Customer lead and Business partner in ensuring that intercompany cost allocations are in line with management agreements and transfer pricing policy.
• Develop, document and implement process improvements within the accounting/finance department, including initiatives to streamline close processes and reduce close time.
• Responsible of the different forecasting cycles of the company in Manufacturing/Operations.
• Coordinate with both external and internal auditors to complete financial audits of and SOX testing of responsible accounts.
• Routinely takes the lead in conducting the month-end closing process (within SAP) for the monthly closing, prepares financial reports and accompanying comments for significant variances. Oversee, Cost Analysts activities related to month-end closing to ensure accuracy and timeliness of reporting.
• Experience of finance and accounting is required. Self-motivation and a commitment to team work is key.
• A recognized finance or accounting qualification. 4+ years accounting/controlling/FP&A experience where applicable.
• Use of general office and financial systems for budgeting, forecasting and reporting.
• Cross boundary experience including building relationships remotely and cross-culturally.
• Ability to work well in and across diverse global teams.
• English Language proficiency, both verbal and written, with the confidence to express clear opinions and ability to explain financial issues to non-financial management.
• Accounting fundamentals – understands the basic principles of accounting (eg accruals; cost centers; budgeting).
• Strong computer skills and proficient with Excel including pivot tables, multiconditional sumifs, and vlookups. Desire to continue to develop new Excel abilities, speed, and accuracy, and to follow existing departmental spreadsheet structure and formatting conventions and methodologies.
• Qualified finance professional, or working towards a recognized financial qualification.
• Proficiency in the use of SAP.
• For Commercial unit’s experience of working in Sales/commercial industry.
• For Operations – experience of working in Manufacturing industry.
• Three plus years of prior experience in a public trade company or auditing / accounting firm. Ideally, with one or more years in a cost accounting role.
Competences and skills
• Desire to work in a lean, fast moving organization where not all responsibilities or desired tasks can be
anticipated or scheduled ahead of time. Be flexible and willing to exercise judgment over materiality and actively take steps to increase the speed of assembly and accuracy of accounts. Be willing to jump right into an assigned task even if the task isn’t able to be fully clarified or justified at that time/ be comfortable with some ambiguity.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to adapt communication styles to suit the preferred methods of managers, executives, and colleagues, as well as contacts outside of the Company that may be at the level of novice accounting clerks.
• Ability to solve complex issues where analysis of data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors, and be able to exercise good judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for measuring, summarizing, and optimizing spending and accounting accuracy.
Other Role Requirements
• Schedule flexibility to work on holidays when necessary.
• Flexibility and Ability to travel and work in another AZ facilities outside the country when necessary.
• Schedule flexibility to work on the days off given by the wellness policy when necessary (Política de Bienestar).
The IFS function will interface with the Back Office Shared Services function, Business CFOs/Finance Business Partners and 3rd Party specialist functions.